Saturday, February 16, 2013

BB Creams/Cremes!

BB Creams or BB Cremes as they are spelled...
Apparently all the rage now. Popping up in every cosmetic line.
BB stands for "blemish balm"...A hot beauty trend popular in Asia.
Touted as the 'all-in-one' cosmetic product.
A quick search in Wikipedia, and you'll find more info...check this link out:

My journey into this realm really began in a shopping trip. I didn't read up on anything, no one told me and I didn't see it online (just yet). I did notice L'Oreal had this B.B. Cream. I picked it up and started reading...hmmm.

  • Primes
  • Perfects
  • Hydrates
  • Corrects

They had a tube open as someone already did a little drugstore testin'. I squeezed out a sample. It was whitish and grainy then it 'magically' transformed into a close, natural almost non-makeup match to my skin color. It looked smooth. Hey this stuff is neat. I got a tube in "Light".

My foundation of choice (I do have many, too many) is usually Lancome. My skin and makeup always look nice with Lancome foundation. However using the L'Oreal BB Cream was nice too.

It does what it says "magic skin beautifier", "flawless bare skin finish", "over time more beautiful skin"...and "instantly transforms to your perfect shade for a flawless bare skin finish"..."ultra-light lotion with antioxidants Vitamin C & E"...well you get it...it sounds good, doesn't it?

Well, I discovered more BB Creams out there and there are just too many now. I decided to explore other options from cosmetics lines that I've always adored, like Dior and Too Faced. Dior was the first makeup I used for my prom, so I have fond memories of that. 

Dior has three BB Cremes. Unlike L'Oreal, their BB Cremes (spelled "creme") come in different shades. Some of the formulas depending on which almost remind me of tinted moisturizers. They are all nicely fragranced and pricey.

1) Dior Hydra Life BB Creme Enhancing Moisturizer for Immediate Beauty SPF 30. I tried this one out in Sephora then I got a freebie tube sample. The color is supposed to be universal. For my light skin, it is more yellowy although I can see this working in the summer when I get more color in the sun. I like the texture, coverage and fragrance. Although I decided to pass on buying a full tube for now.  Pump-tube. Retails: $56. Sephora Exclusive.

2) Diorskin Nude BB Creme Nude Glow Skin Perfection Beauty Balm Sunscreen SPF 10. Notice the lower sunscreen factor. This version comes in 4 shades. 001, 002, 003, 004. The 002 was sold out at Sephora. I got the 001 which is a fair shade. (I can go between the two). This is nicely fragranced, not as thick as Hydralife, again more reminiscent of a tinted moisturizer. And I do have the Hydralife Tinted Moisturizer which is great. I think this is a Sephora exclusive as well. Pump-tube. Retails: $45.

3) Diorsnow BB Creme White Revel UV Protection SPF 50. Notice that this is the highest sunscreen factor of the bunch. This comes in Transparent and a nude universal shade. I got the universal shade. I like this as it's not as yellowy as Hydralife and is thick in texture. A Nordstorm exclusive. Pump-tube. Retails: $50.

4) Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm Multi-Benefit Skin Care Makeup SPF 20 in Vanilla Glow. This comes in 4 shades and I got mine at Ulta. I like the botanical extracts in this version. There is no discernable scent but it is thick and blends nicely. Squeeze-out tube. Retails: $30.

5) Drew Barrymore's Flower BB Cream (BB2) exclusively at Walmart. I just got this one. Tried out a little. Not fragranced but reminded immediately of drugstore makeup. There are tinted moisturizers in this line but it's too early for me to say if this one is any good. Comes in 4 shades. The promise from this tube of BB Cream is that it is the "4-in1- Skin Solution" that will "eliminate skin dullness, covers imperfections, discolorations, softens and smooths skin and eliminates unwanted shine." (Check back again for the update to this once I use it.) Squeeze-out tube. Retails: $9.98.

6) L'Oreal Paris BB Cream. Comes in 4 shades in Fair, Light, Medium and Dark. Whitish, grainy liquid that magically transforms into your shade. Promises are that it "primes, perfects, hydrates, corrects". Squeeze-out tube. Retails: $8.00.

So which one do I like or recommend? It's really depends on your budget and makeup line preference. One MUA really raved about Maybelline's BB Cream. I haven't tried that. 

Out of all of them for the low-budget version, L'Oreal tops it out. It's really good. I like how it's not tinted and transforms on your skin. The results of using it do match up with the promises on the packaging. As for high-end versions, I would go with DiorSnow because it has the highest SPF 50 and comes in a translucent and universal tinted version so you have that choice.

Happy BB Balming! 

Do you have a favorite BB? What do you think of this trend?  


Please link back to this blog when sharing pics!