Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Search for Dupes is On!

I originally posted on Instagram my quest to find dupes for the Lime Crime Velvetines.

As you can see I headed straight for my NYX Matte Lip Creams to find some possible ones.
While I love the NYX Matte Lip Creams, I noticed that the dry-down time was slower than the Velvetines. Probably because NYX is a cream formula that takes slightly longer to dry down to a matte finish than do the Velvetines which are liquid and dry quicker.

As you can see in the above photo, NYX Monte Carlo appears to be close but has more pink tones when compared to Lime Crime's Red Velvet.

When it came to Lime Crime's Suedeberry, I swiped NYX's Antwerp, however it was much lighter and pinker. NYX's Amsterdam didn't really make the cut.

Well, luckily I was near a Sephora and a Macy's, so I stopped in see what I could find!

Happy Dance!!!

I found them! Pretty good dupes. I have a good eye for color.



For Lime Crime's Red Velvet, try Kat von D's Everlasting Love Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw. It has the same liquid style formula and dries down to that beautiful velvety red! You can get that at Sephora. It was sold out when I visited mine.

Onto the next...



For Lime Crime's Suedeberry, try Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Carina. This also has that same liquid formula that dries down to matte velvety finish. Both lippies had staying power because I had to use several wipes to wipe them off my hand!

~

Interesting side note for the Suedeberry dupe, I wasn't satisfied with the possible dupes when I was in Sephora. The Suedeberry is a bright coral red. It was a good thing I took another look at the Stila display before I left the store! 

I did find other good matte alternatives similar in color. Not exact but similar. They were mostly in lipstick format. 

Yves Saint Laurent has two good matte reds: #201 and 203.



Sephora has their own matte lippies in 3 shades of red. I actually bought one and am working on a swatch. Sephora Color Lip Last: Numbers 18,19 and 20. 



Nars has good matte reds. One is a dupe for Mac Marilyn's Deeply Adorned. So I found another dupe too! Try Mascate, Vesuvio and Amsterdam. Both the Mascate and Amsterdam were in that range where Deeply Adorned is. They are both dark reds. One with brown tones and the other with berry tones. I would go for the Mascate as a dupe. It was sold out.
Above pic: Out of the four colors swiped, ignore the top one.
2nd is Nars Mascate - very close dupe! BINGO!
3rd is Nars Amsterdam - brownish red.
4th is Nars Vesuvio - rich red.

Here's Nars Mascate. My preferred choice for Deeply Adorned dupe.

That concludes my DUPE HUNT! Hope you find the lippies I wrote about in this blog. 
Stay beautiful lovelies!