Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rihanna Hearts M.A.C. Fall Collection 2013

Rihanna Hearts M.A.C. Review

Probably the most hyped-about collection of the year in the M.A.C. universe. My M.A.C. Pro store had already sold out of the "Nude" lipstick by the time I got there. And it was only open for 1 hour. The ladies told me that they only received 9-12 lippies and that there was a line since 4am!
Of course you're probably wondering..."Nude" got sold out?
Yep it's just a darker nude. It swatches brilliantly in the store. I've heard so much chatter about this shade. It is definitely the 'star' of the collection. However it's nude. I have plenty of that.

The main point about this collection was and is "the packaging". My focus in this review are the lipsticks. I did get the brush and the compact but I'm debating whether to keep them or not. They are overpriced. I already have the Hibiscus Kiss compact and the 'blush brush' is actually a stippling brush. I already got a new one from M.A.C. with a significantly longer handle.

The rest well to each their own really. The eyeshadows are easily dupeable. I prefer Urban Decay actually and WetnWild makes so many dupes of M.A.C. eyeshadows. The lipliners are also dupable and stuff I already have. Eyelashes- same. The smaller blush and cream aren't something I was interested in either as I have plenty of that. Then there is the mascara and the brow pencils. All of which I have. The only justification in getting those is if you are...

4 Reasons You Really Need Anything From This Collection
1. Rihanna Fan
2. A M.A.C. uber collector
3. Your cash flow is really flowin' (even with a pro discount but there is no discount on this!)
4. Really ran out of those necessities and just happened to waltz into the store 
on the release date.

Let's start with the review. Since I don't have the "Nude" shade, I will review:
RiRiWoo
Talk That Talk
Who's That Chick?

Retail: $16.50

>>>I will update this post with "Nude" once I get my hands on it.<<<
UPDATE: I did not get the Nude. 
They were in limited quantities. My final trek to the M.A.C. counter and they said they only 'received' 3 lippies. But whose knows what the real story is whether the M.A.C. girls bought for themselves or set aside pre-orders. It's been ridiculous to say the least.
I did try it on. So here's my review of the MOST OVER HYPED NUDE LIPSTICK.

Nude (swatched on lips at the store; no liner)

I decided to give this lippie a 4/5 rating simply because it is a dupeable nude and not a nude shade that everyone can successfully wear and be happy with. Would have I given it a higher rating if I acquired it? No. While it goes on smoothly and swatches brilliantly, on my lips well, I had "zombie lips" is what this shade looks like on me. If it weren't for the Rihanna signature, packaging and hype, it would be one of those ugly dark nudes that look too ashy and off on my NC20 skin that I would pass up.

It is basically a taupe nude meaning it has cool undertones. Hence why there is a 'greyish tinge' to it on lighter skin complexions. This lippie will work beautifully on complexions with cool undertones and if you have darker skin tones it's a nude
that will show up and perform.

Also this is not a Retro Matte, it is simply a Matte which is the reason why it goes on smoothly.

As for dupes since nude lippies are in abundant supply everywhere and in every makeup collection,
I could swear I've seen this shade at the drugstore.

CLOSEST DUPE I COULD FIND: "Butter" Matte Lipstick by NYX.
Swatch is on my Instagram!

Rating: 4/5 Lippies


Nude

RIRI WOO
RiRi Woo
If you haven't gotten the chance to get RiRi Woo since it was first released, I encourage you to get it.
I have backups of these and I love the 'slightly' reformulated version of M.A.C.'s popular Ruby Woo.

Since I wear it often, it won't go to waste. It's a universally flattering red in the retro matte finish. The RiRi signature adorns the tube and it's looks chic in the rose-gold packaging. Adorable. Plus it's such an intense red, my camera freaked when I took the picture, so beware. It's a cool-blue red and it pops!
Rating: 5/5 Lippies


WHO'S THAT CHICK?
Who's That Chick?
Cute play on words. If it was "Who's That Girl?", it'd be a Madonna lippie. 
This lippie is the only frost finish lipstick in the collection.
It is a golden orange frost.
It does nothing for me. I had to line my lips with a brown lipliner so
it wouldn't disappear. For my skintone (I'm a NC20), it isn't typically what I would wear.
However I'm sure this lipstick will look fab on women of color and darker skin tones.
So I'm not going to give it a 5/5 but a 4/5.
If you're not into frosts, I'd skip it.
I am going to continue experimenting with this lippie though.
I always give lipsticks a fighting chance even if I'm not crazy about them.
This may work well in an ombre lip look or even with gloss on top or other lipliners.
That shall remain to be seen.
Rating: 4/5 Lippies


TALK THAT TALK
Talk That Talk
When I started to put this on my lips not only did it go on unevenly but it felt like I was putting on Fixed on Drama, the LE retro matte lipstick in the M.A.C. Retro Matte collection! OMG a clone and a not so good one! Fixed On Drama went on smoother. This lippie, I had to swipe several times. 
It's so identical. Probably the lowest rating I've ever given a lippie. If you missed out on Fixed on Drama then by all means get this lippie and if you said 'yes' to any or all of the 
4 Reasons Why You Really Need Anything From This Collection above.

This picture below shows just how uneven and almost blotchy it looks.
Even though I lined with Mac Nightmoth, it still doesn't look as good as Fixed On Drama.
Probably may try to fill in my entire lip with liner then apply.
It really shouldn't have to take much to make it look good considering I spent $16.50.
I'll try other ideas with this lipstick too.
I think I have about 8 lippies that look similar in color!

Rating: 3/5 Lippies

What are you planning to get?
Stay sweet lovelies!
~Duchess

DISCLAIMER: All products were purchased by the Duchess unless otherwise noted.
Please when sharing pics, link back to this blog.