Sunday, April 6, 2014

M.A.C. PatentPolish Lip Pencil Review

M.A.C. finally jumps on the bandwagon of the lip pen/balm/sticks/lacquers/stains craze made popular by Revlon, L'Oreal and Clinique. (There are others out there but if I didn't mention them it's probably because I don't use them, ie. WnW, Jordana, Tarte, etc.)

So are they any good? 

I've been testing them out and they're not bad. They're not spectacular either. They would rock if they were mattes. What I like about the M.A.C. PatentPolish is that you do get more product. About 0.08 oz versus say the L'Oreal lip pens that came out at 0.03 oz. I like the signature M.A.C. vanilla scent better than the mint scent that the Revlon ones have. I've never really gotten into the Clinique Chubby Sticks and it's been a very long, long while since I've even used Clinique. So I think in that respect, these have my interest. 

The round tip is weird-looking but it actually feels good and I don't have any problems with application. The pen is sturdy and big with a twist-up tip so there's no sharpening. Many voiced that they prefer a sharp point. But sharp points don't make sense because they don't last. The L'Oreal ones had it but wore down upon application. Plus to have a sharp point, you would have to sharpen. Waste of product and not really necessary. I think the factor really is the price tag. It's a whooping $20. A bit steep considering it's not a long-lasting formula and you can spend that amount for a liquid lipstick that's matte and lasts all day. Really it's a gloss in a twist-up pen.

But the idea has potential and it's neat.

I think having at least one, you could apply or dab a little in the center of a matte lip to create an ombre look. Or use two pencils to create an ombre lip. Which I did using Sultana and PatentPink in the pic below. If these were matte, creating and mixing the colors would be really fantastic.

Other than that I recommend playing with these at the M.A.C. counter.

I ordered 3 colors:
Fearless
PatentPink
Sultana

Sultana was the only one I was disappointed in because it didn't look anything like the swatch on the M.A.C. site. Instead of being berry purple, it's actually a brownish plum. Too brown. Speaking of pics,  I tried to make my lips look as deliciously glossy as patent shoes like in the photo but no such luck.

Fearless. I love this one! It is a blue pink. What helped make it last longer was lining and filling in my lips. I used LE Mac Silly lip pencil. It is a pretty pink. Wearing this more, I appreciate that they do keep my lips moist after I wipe them off.

Rating: 4/5

Please Note: I will update this post with swatches of Fearless and PatentPink.
UPDATED! Fearless and PatentPink are up.

Would I purchase more?
It depends, I'd have to swatch the other colors.

PROS:
They're not streaky.
They smell great.
They apply smoothly.
They don't dry out the lips.
They can be used for Back-to-M.A.C.

CONS:
Price
Don't last long
Lustres in a pen form.
M.A.C. PatentPolish

Brownish plum.
Sultana Lips

Here's my ombre lips using 2 colors. 
Sultana + PatentPink Lips

My fav thus far.
Fearless Lips

A pretty washed-out Lilac!
PatentPink Lips

Did you get any PatentPolish lip pencils?

Stay sweet lovelies!
~Duchess

DISCLAIMER: All products were purchased by the Duchess unless otherwise noted.
Please do not use my photos without my permission.